• The Water Tower Place has the distinction of being America's first vertical mall. There are at least 100 shops, one movie theater, and several restaurants. They are all built around a central glass elevator that rises nine stories with the mall surrounding it.
• The successful mall was the first of four vertical malls along the Magnificent Mile area. The malls helped shift Chicago's retail center from State Street to Michigan Avenue.
• Talk show hostess Oprah Winfrey owns a condominium on the 56th floor. Tourists generally flock to the building only to be disappointed as she only stays in the building when taping her show and spends the rest of her time on the West Coast.
• World's tallest reinforced concrete building at the time of completion.
• The underground three floors are used for parking, the first floor is home to the main lobby, the next eight floors are used for retail, floors 10 - 32 are used for hotel rooms for the Ritz-Carlton, and floors 33 - 74 are used for condominiums.
• The building has three addresses. It's retail and commercial address is 845 North Michigan Avenue, it's hotel address is 160 East Pearson Street, and it's residential address is 180 East Pearson Street.
• The large white bands on floors 15, 33, and 74 are floors dedicated for mechanical use.
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.