Like this building on Facebook
|National Grand Theater of China|
Beijing BJ China
| - theatre|
| - conference|
| - lowrise|
| - dome|
| - modern|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architects: Paul Andreu, François Tamisier, Hervé Langlais, Mario Flory, Olivia Faury, Serge Carillon.
• Design: Paul Andreu Architect associated with ADPi.
• Client: BIAD - The Grand National Theater Committee.
• Project Manager: Felipe Starling.
• Its shape like an ellipsoid dome of titanium and glass surrounded by an artificial lake, seats 5,452 people in three halls and is almost 12,000 m² in size.
• Construction inaugurated with a concert in December 2007.
• Ground dimension: 212.20 m x 146.64 m.
• Cost: 300 Millions € or ¥ 3.2 billion CNY. The initial plan was 2.688 billion Renminbi.
• About the huge cost: The cost increased due to delay for reevaluation and subsequent minor changes in it as precaution after a Paris airport terminal building collapsed. This was source of controversy because many believed nearly impossible to recover the investment. After calculation, each seat is worthed about ¥ half a million CNY. An answer of Chinese goverment although was, the construction of theater to be not a profit venture. The maintenance costs actually are very high though but this is not to be make the selling tickets at high price.
• One of biggest dome for such activities in world.
• The National Centre for the Performing Arts is separated from the Tian An Men Square by The Great Hall.
• The building houses:
- opera house of 2416 seats,
- concert hall of 2017 seats,
- 2 theatres (one of 1040 seats) included in a titanium and glass shell which houses the public space.
• The glass shell of one of them opens like a curtain which moves away showing the interior of the theatres, exhibition and public spaces. The titanium in opposite protect and cover, creating some shadows' areas more discret.
• Its concept: National Centre for the Performing Arts is a cultural island in the middle of a lake, says architect coordinator.
• Photo Links:
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.