|1201 Elm Street|
Dallas TX United States
|Floor Area||160,814 m²|
| - office|
| - library|
| - restaurant|
| - retail|
| - highrise|
| - truss|
| - postmodern|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architects: Hellmuth, Obata + Kassabaum, HKS Inc.
• Renovation Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
• Main Tenant: Blockbuster Inc.
• Engineers: Blum Consulting Engineers Inc.
• Constructor: Mosher Steel Company.
• Others: Ellisor & Tanner Inc., Thornton Tomasetti Inc., Henry C. Beck Company, Tractel Ltd. South Central, Trizec Properties Inc., Brookfield Properties Corporation, Winstead Sechrest & Minick PC.
• This was the tallest building in Dallas upon its completion. Decorative roof structures were added in 1986 so that the building would still be considered tall.
• The then InterFirst Plaza went through a $40 million dollar renovation in 1986 (ending in 1991), originally a simple glass box, new glass was added to show off different patterns, 5 stories where added to the top, and 5 decorative towers where added to the rooftop.
• Best known as J.R. Ewing's office in the early seasons for the popular TV Show "Dallas", it was referred to as the "Ewing Oil Building".
• Corporate Headquarters for Blockbuster Inc.
• Previous names include: First International Building (1974 - 1982) InterFirst Plaza (1982 - 1985) InterFirst Two (1985 - 1986) then finally Renaissance Tower (1986 - present).
• The top floor of the Renaissance Tower houses a library with views of the Dallas area.
• The building is lighted during night in a criss-cross patterns. At top the lights makes it resembling a "landing pad" for the "rocket ship" Fountain Place building.
• The decorative spire and turrets were added in 1987, allowing it to be in the world's 100 Tallest for a long time and even the tallest building in Dallas from 1974 to 1985, surpassed after by Bank of America Plaza.
• The building was a centerpiece in the long-running American television show "Dallas".
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.