Like this building on Facebook
|John Hancock Center|
|875 North Michigan Avenue|
Chicago IL United States
|Floor Area||260,126 m²|
| - mixed use|
| - communication|
| - observation|
| - office|
| - parking garage|
| - residential|
| - restaurant|
| - highrise|
| - cross brace|
| - international|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
|Antenna||1500 ft||FCC Reg. # 1009012|
|Lower antenna||1476 ft||CTBUH|
|Lower roof||1107 ft||Blueprint in lobby|
|Top floor||1078 ft||Blueprint in lobby|
|Observation deck||1030 ft||Blueprint in lobby|
|Ground level||0 ft|
|Sea level||-593 ft||FCC Reg. # 1009012|
- This project was intended to be developed as several smaller buildings having different functions but within the same parcel. The project developer wanted a 50 storey office tower (1 million sq.ft.) along with a 70 storey residential complex (also 1 million sq.ft.) and 800,00 sq.ft. of combined commercial space and parking. The plan put forth by the S.O.M. Architect-Engineer team of Bruce Graham & Fazlur Khan called for stacking all of this components into a single 100 storey tower of comparable square footage. The structural system (a braced tube) was made possible by new and emerging computer analysis techniques. The tapered shape allows for smaller residential plates over office plates over commercial plates and opens up a wider environment at the plaza.
- The observation deck is unusual in that part of it has a screen window instead of the standard plate glass.
- Building topped-out 6 May 1968.
- The base of the building has dimensions of 80.77 by 50.29 meters (north-south by east-west). The building narrows towards the top at 32 by 19.8 meters.
- Member of "World Federation of Great Towers".
- In 1969, it was the 2nd tallest building in the world.
• Google Search
| || |
Drawing by Jaic
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.