Like this building on Facebook
|Soldiers & Sailors Monument|
Indianapolis IN United States
| - monument|
| - museum|
| - observation|
| - tower|
| - neo-classical|
| - stone|
| - limestone|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
|Top floor||244 ft|
• Architects: Bruno Schmitz, Frederick Baumann.
American Hydrotech Inc., Enos Hege, Geupel DeMars Inc., Hagerman Construction Corporation, Hale Electric Elevator Company, Indiana Limestone Company, Indiana War Memorial Commission, Jungclaus-Campbell Company Inc., Kite Inc., Pepper Construction Group, Rotz Engineers Inc., Schmidt Associates Inc., Terre Haute Stone Works.
• The 30-foot tall statue at the top is named "Victory."
• The Soldiers and Sailors Monument stands in the very middle of Monument 342-foot diameter Circle, a prominent meeting point in downtown Indianapolis.
• Its estensive renovation by Schmidt Associates and Geupel DeMars was completed in 1989, only recognized in 1990 with the Monumental Award, representing the most significant visual and physical enhancement in Marion County.
• There is the Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum located in the monument's lower level.
• Constructed of gray oolitic limestone, the monument commemorates Indiana war dead from 1776-1865.
• The site was once home to the Governor's Mansion, but no Governor ever resided in the house. The empty structure was razed in 1857.
• Its Limestone Sculptures at base are the work of Austrian Sculptor Rudolf Schwarz and the Bronze Astragal, work of Nicolaus Geiger of Berlin.
• The monument was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
• An indoor observation deck at the 244.5-foot level can be reached by a single elevator or stairway.
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.