|Edifício Santos Dumont|
|Rua Santa Luzia 651 x Av. Calógeras, Centre BR-20021-903|
Rio de Janeiro RJ Brazil
|Floor Area||18,439 m²|
| - office|
| - parking garage|
| - restaurant|
| - highrise|
| - landing pad|
| - revolving floor|
| - concrete core|
| - international|
| - modern|
| - masonry|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - aluminium|
| - concrete (plain)|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| - brick|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architect: Max Gruzman Arquitetura.
• Constructor: Servenco - Serviços de Engenharia Continental. Project of 1970.
• Site: 1300 m².
• Construction began on November 3rd, 1971 and inaugurated on November 1975. On its inauguration, was the tallest building in Rio de Janeiro state and the one with most storeys. It had the first rotated restaurant in top of a building in South América, today not in operation anymore.
• The first 6 of the 45 floors are parking levels.
• The central core was built in only 58 days.
• Construction History:
- The bold project would face its first hurdle to begin the excavation of the soil. Just below the surface of the old wharf, traces of previous season of successive landfills were found, when the sea was in this street. It was necessary to overcome the thick wall of stone, which came to meet up to 9 meters deep, and as many wide.
- In October 1971, overcoming the obstacles, the work continued until his fundamental point, the slidding frame with reinf. concrete core, one of the most advanced construction methods of the time, a technological challenge, which would be held with the central core.
- During 3 years, 11 months and some days, the work was being raised from 20 meters below the ground up to 140 meters high from the surface. On November 3, 1971 the site began to be prepared to allow the start of work on foundations. Besides the conventional polls, penetration tests were performed to measure the static strength of the soil and to better determine the depth of settlement of tubes. This information was provided by a device, called penetrometer hydraulic motor, which controls the strength of the field almost 20 by 20 centimeters, is used, usually in large-scale works.
- Analyzed the results of polls, was chosen by the foundation tubes with reinforced concrete, because there would be a concentration of cargo up to two tons in the pillars. It was used a total of 21 foundations tubes shirt of concrete, with diameters ranging between 1.70 and 2 meters, and 49 metal stakes and 25 profiles of scores.
- The central pillars of the blade were prepared to receive loads of up to 2,350 tonnes. The foundations have been implemented with the placement in a circle in the center of the land, in nine major tubes. These were topped by a block of crowning in the shape of octagon, measuring 1.80 meters in height and 13 meters away from face to face. Consumption of this block was 80 tonnes of iron and 1,400 bags of cement. Soon after concreting the floor of the sub-soil and, after ten months and 53 thousand man-hours of work in the foundations, the building appeared above the surface.
- Work on the building structure, however, had not yet finished, because only half of the pillars rises until the last of the five floors of parking. Because of this, to embrace these pillars, there was above the block of parking deck of a structural transition, with 3.80 meters, 1.20 meters wide and 90 meters in length, new pillars, running as a kind of higher foundation. The core, which part of this point, has the function of a central pillar joining with radial beams all of floors.
- After three concrete decks using conventional forms, there was the lifting of the core through the sliding ways. The sliding forms moved up in the vertical direction supported by the strength of hydraulic jacks, leaving them under a structure of concrete already armed. These hydraulic jacks reacted on resistant steel tubes tablets which were placed inside the form, embedded in the walls of concrete.
- After filling concrete, the monkeys were climbing, guided by tubes of elevation, in steps of approximately six centimeters. Through this system, rose 43 floors in the space of 58 days, gaining time and security in the increase of more than 121 meters.
- It began the process of masonry, after bricks. The building was then outside the format of a huge tree of concrete, with concrete slabs apparently connected by radial beams to its core. It was used aluminum frames for windows. The floors used 2000 meters of peroba wood pieces and 11000 meters of ipê wood pieces. In 4400 of the facade windows were applied 8000m² of glass crystal bronze, 6 mm, imported from Japan and were used in front, 11,000 meters in natural color, 96ton anodized aluminium. The facade was completed with the varnishing of concrete, using varnish-based resin, polyurethane, impermeable.
- And when, in November 1975, Servenco gave to Aeronautics Club, the highest building of State, it was a point of reference for Rio de Janeiro city. The building was inaugurated with the name "Building Aeronautics' Club", but was later changed and nominated Santos Dumont Building, where the headquarters of the Club of Aeronautics returned to its old premises in Praça Marechal Âncora, next to COMAR III.
• The total area has been built up with:
- 140,000 bags of cement.
- 3,008,683 Watts of Electric total capacity power.
- 13,000 m³ of sand.
- 11,500 m³ of crushed stone.
- 1,900 tons of structural cross-beams.
- 1,724 tons, cooling capacity.
- 14,000 meters of pipes for water installations.
- 4,400 windows in the building.
- 957 records.
- ~ 620,000 bricks used in construction.
- 53,000 man-hours in service foundations.
- 49 metal stakes.
- 1,274,000 liters of water distributed in 8 tanks.
• Photo Link: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5366999
• Google Search