Like this building on Facebook
|Union Station Tower|
|800 NW 6th Avenue & Irving Avenue|
Portland OR United States
| - station|
| - lowrise|
| - romanesque|
| - glass|
| - stone|
| - stucco|
| - brick|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
Architect: Van Brunt & Howe.
Owner: Portland Development Commission
Developer: Pietro Belluschi.
- Dedication ceremonies were held on February 14, 1896.
- The VC Interlocking Tower on its south side was still in service and performing the control of the trains until 1997-1998.
- Pietro Beluschi in the 1930's made lobby remodeling.
- It is the oldest major passenger terminal on the West Coast and the one of the oldest of the grand "Union" stations in the United States, considered to be one of the most important historic structures in Oregon.
- Fueling points in the station does not exist as fueling of trains is done by trucks.
- The US Department of the Interior has placed the station on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The proposed original location was where the US Post Office now currently sits, one block to the west across Broadway.
- The construction of the station took longer than expected due to flooding and financial problems. So, the landmark tower was almost not built.
- The neon sign “Go by Train” was installed after the Second World War.
- The station handled 92 arrivals per day.
- In 1987, the property was acquired by the Portland Development Commission (PDC).
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.